23 June 2010

Masala Chai Spice blend - UPDATED

UPDATED.  OK.  I got tired of measuring the spices for each pot of tea.  My experiments led me to this recipe which makes a bit more than a half cup (~6 fl. oz.) of spice blend.  Add about 1/2 to 2/3 teaspoons of this blend to 3 tsp. of black tea and steep for 10 minutes in boiling water in a prewarmed teapot for 24 fl. oz. of tea.  Note that spice ratios have been tweaked from Sunday's recipe.  I've been tweaking.

  1. 9 tsp. cardamom
  2. 5 tsp. cinnamon
  3. 5 tsp. ginger
  4. 4 tsp. allspice
  5. 2 tsp. nutmeg
  6. 2 tsp. cloves
  7. 2 tsp. coriander
Optional:  Add 1/16 tsp. of vanilla extract to each 24 oz of Masala Chai.  This can't be added to the blend for obvious reasons.

Enjoy.

I'm also working on a Vindaloo Spice blend.  I plan to make it Indian hot.  I love capsaicin.

-Silly Git

No comments:

Post a Comment